Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grammy night

Watched the Grammys last night with my Darling Step-Daughter. First time I've watched the Grammys in I don't know how long, and I was surprised how enjoyable it was. Of course, it helped immensely to have someone DSD's age with me, so she could explain who half of those people were. (Yes, I'm offically old.)

It was amusing, though, to see how many of the performers I had to explain to her. The whole Sly and the Family Stone tribute was pretty much new music to her, and I noted at one point that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were probably the only ones on stage who were alive when Sly was at his peak.

It was disconcerting when Sir Paul joined the singers onstage (who I needed help identifying...still can't tell you who they were) and DSD wondered why he was singing that song. He didn't do that, did he? The song was Yesterday. I assured her that, yes, Sir Paul did indeed do that one first. Wrote it, in fact. News to her. Sigh.

All in all, though, it was nice to see some of the new performers and recognize that music is coming back. John Legend, in particular, impressed me. Good musician, good singing voice, and he wasn't over-embellishing each note to the point that you completely lose the melody. I may actually step out of the box musically and purchase a CD of other than Dead Guys - as DH calls my classical music collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home